Who are we ?
The result of a partnership with the GALERIES LAFAYETTE, the Paris and Beijing La BORDEAUXTHEQUE stores were conceived by the DUCLOT group.
DUCLOT is a major wine merchant in Bordeaux with a stock of several million bottles and large formats, purchased directly from the chateaux and stored in 20,000 m2 new cellars.
Founded by Sixte Duclot in 1886, the company kept its name when it was acquired in 1956 by Jean-Pierre Moueix.
When Jean-François Moueix succeeded his father in 1970, he introduced a new activity, complementary to traditional trading in France and abroad: selling wine to private customers, first by mail order and then in stores L’INTENDANT and BADIE (Bordeaux), La CAVE DU LAFAYETTE GOURMET (Paris), La BORDEAUXTHÈQUE (Paris in Galeries Lafayette), CHAI & BAR (Brussels), CHATEAUNET with its concept of website and associated stores (ie stores 3C-CHATEAUX CASH & CARRY , Paris). Finally, CHATEAUPRIMEUR is dedicated to the online sales of “en primeur” Bordeaux wines.
This wine merchant status ensures that there is no intermediary between the chateaux and the shops /online sales of DUCLOT Company; that is why you will always find here the right prices and wines in perfect condition.
If Bordeaux growths are historically the core business of DUCLOT, in recent years the group has extended its expertise to great wines from other regions. After a strict selection with tasting sessions, the range presents the most beautiful estates and the best winemakers in Burgundy, Rhône, Loire, Champagne ... and other major French and foreign vineyards. This offer is available in all the company’s stores, with the exception of L’INTENDANT and LA BORDEAUXTHÈQUE only specialized in Bordeaux wines.
DUCLOT today : Jean-François Moueix is president of the family holding VIDELOT including PETRUS in Pomerol which is managed by his son Jean Moueix. Since March 2014, Ariane Khaida runs DUCLOT; she has outlined fruitful prospects for the group’s future in the world, while perpetuating the family values that are dear to this historic trading house.
Once upon a time in Galeries Lafayette…
The remarkable history of Galeries Lafayette begins in the 19th Century. Daring modernity is most representative of this latest department store. For five generations, this family-owned business has proved its ability to innovate, having passed through different times, wars, financial crisis and commercial revolutions.
A promising start
In 1893, two Alsatian cousins, Théophile Bader and Alphonse Kahn, partnered to open on January 15th 1894 a novelty shop in a small 70 m2 dry goods shop situated at the corner of rue La Fayette and rue de la Chaussée d'Antin. It was named "Aux Galeries Lafayette" because of the place and the configuration of the shop where customers circulation was made along display counters. If the opening was a gamble, the location was ideal. Quickly Galeries Lafayette was growing. And it was really in 1912 that the flagship became a most symbolic Art Nouveau monument in Paris, thanks to architect Ferdinand Chanut who requested the expertise of major artists from the École de Nancy. The monumental staircase handrail inspired by the Paris Opéra was made by Louis Majorelle who also designed the ironworks of the balconies. The 43 m high dome is the symbol of Galeries Lafayette. It was made by master glass-maker Jacques Gruber in Byzance revival style. The leading managers wanted at that time a sort of "luxury bazaar" in the Oriental way where products would be abundant and luxurious and would fascinate the women customers. The wager was won.
At the very beginning, Galeries Lafayette has affirmed its vocation: fashion and novelty. In order to distinguish himself from his competitors, Théophile Bader decided to put the most prominent dresses within every one means.
He opened or bought workshops that would produce clothing exclusively for Galeries Lafayette. They were sold under the brandname "Aux Galeries Lafayette". Soon everyone would run into the flagship, from the lady to the simple steamstress, called in French "midinette", meaning young shopgirl or needlewoman having a little snack at midday (midi in French). On a huge banner on the facade rue La Fayette was written: "Galeries Lafayette, the cheapest department store in Paris".
Growth and diversification
The department store has constantly made efforts at diversification: new sections were added, such as men's clothes department, furniture, toy section and tableware…It is also loyal to its purpose of giving affordable prices to fashion, decorative arts and more recently to design products. In 1922, the department store opened "La Maîtrise", decorative arts workshops, directed by decorator Maurice Dufrêne. The aim of these workshops is to produce pieces (furniture, fabric, carpets, wallpapers, ceramics, etc.) to suit everyone's pocket. In spite of 1929 Great Depression, Galeries Lafayette started extension works on boulevard Haussmann. In 1932, the flagship was made bigger by Pierre Patout, the architect of transatlantic liners, who redesigned it in Art Deco style with bow-windows made by René Lalique. From 1941 to 1944, in occupied France, the Jewish founder's family was dismissed and the society was placed under Vichy régime administration, untill Liberation of France. Théodore Bader died in 1942. After the dark years of World War II, Théophile Bader's sons in-law took the head of the firm and economic recovery started.
In order to meet post-war challenges, Galeries Lafayette took on a new dimension. The flagship was modernised and so the highest escalator in Europe was inaugurated for Christmas 1951. Then, from 1957 to 1959, two additional floors were raised. At the same time when the building was renovated, the supply management evolved: this was the case in 1952 for example with the establishment of a design office and a position of Fashion Director. Supplies from abroad were increased and new promotional campaigns were launched. This was a time of great foreign exhibitions, opened in May 1953 with "The Jewels of Italian production". Decisive and regular appointments with customers were established like traditional "3J" (3 days). On saturday, October 4th, 1953, was "Une Journée pas comme les autres" (one extraordinary day). It was an immediate success and since 1959 the operation has been renamed "3J". At the beginning of the sixties, young designers launched ready-to-wear, between haute couture and traditional clothing manufacturing. Galeries Lafayette would reveal each season these young talents by providing small shops or shelves inside the store. Thanks to Galeries Lafayette, Laura, the future Sonia Rykiel, was the first designer to open her first boutique in a department store in 1962. Then it will be the turn of Daniel Hechter, Pierre Cardin, Cacharel, Yves Saint-Laurent Rive Gauche and Dorothée Bis.
Lafayette 1, 2, 3
In 1969, a new store opened on the other side of rue de Mogador. It was and is still dedicated to men's clothing and youth. In a spirit of a fashionable retail store, "Club 20 ans" displayed products by lifestyles. At that time Galeries Lafayette became the first "urban center with facilities", bringing together boutiques, services, parking garage and direct access to subway. In 1974, the dismantling of the grand staircase closed a chapter. In 1980, Galeries Lafayette created the "Festival de la Mode" (Fashion Festival). Untill 1999, the "Oscars du Festival" selected the best garments made by fashion designers. They were realized only for Galeries Lafayette who invited prestigious art directors to stage their artistic events. Well-known figures followed one after the other, such as Karl Lagerfeld or David LaChapelle. In 1984, the exhibition "La France a du talent" (France is talented) celebrated the opening of fashion designers' floor with in particular Azzedine Alaïa, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Thierry Mugler or Jean-Charles de Castelbajac. In 2001, the store moved upmarket and requested Jean-Paul Goude's services for its communication campaigns. His first advertising campaign, "The Adventures of Laetitia Casta in Galeries Lafayette Wonderland" was the beggining of a long and fruitful cooperation. In 2004, Marks and Spencer store in boulevard Haussmann was renamed Lafayette Maison after Galeries Lafayette has acquired every stores of Marks and Spencer in France. Nowadays Galeries Lafayette displays three facades on boulevard Haussmann.
Since the first opening in 1916 of a subsidiary in Nice, the chain stores has always kept growing, in particular after Nouvelles Galeries was bought in the nineties. Today the number reaches 65 stores, including 5 abroad: Beijing, Berlin, Casablanca, Dubaï and Jakarta.